Multicultural Engineering Program
The Multicultural Engineering Program (MEP) supports university students enrolled in engineering curriculums successfully attain their Cal Poly degrees. MEP is an academic support program designed to recruit, retain, and graduate underrepresented students in engineering and computer science disciplines. We build an academic support community and provide the necessary bridges for students' academic and professional success.
Anyone can participate in many of our activities. However, certain scholarships are only available to active MEP students.
As a student affiliated with MEP, we offer to you...
- A bi-weekly newsletter with upcoming events exclusive to MEP
- Tutoring services for engineering, math and science courses
- Academic, career, and personal advising
- Mentoring for new freshmen and transfer students
- Scholarship opportunities
- A computer lab and 24-hour study room
- First Year Seminar course for first-time freshmen and transfers orienting you to Cal Poly
- Academic, career, and leadership development workshops
- Industry networking opportunities
- Peer support within student organizations/clubs
Interested in becoming a part of MEP? Learn more by exploring our website! Click here to go to the MEP eligibility and application
Recent Program Highlights
- MEP serves over 400 Cal Poly students.
- With an 89% retention rate for first-year students, MEP hit a three-year average high comparable to the retention rate for the college as a whole.
- Corporate sponsored scholarships totaling more than $126,000 were awarded to approximately 100 students at the 2012 MEP Corporate Social and Academic Recognition Banquet. The event was made possible through generous contributions to MEP from our Industry Advisory Board.
- Our chapter of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers has earned the title of Regional Chapter of the Year the last five out of seven years.
- Alumnus Ron Smith (EE '83) received the Black Engineer of the Year Award. Smith is vice president for Northrop Grumman's Six Sigma sector.